Angelmaker -
I tried. I really tried. I had less than 70 pages to go, but after reading the last line of chapter 15, I had to quit. It's really bad. The protagonist in this is just so boring and I could care less what happens to him and his too-good-to-be-true girlfriend. His whole thing about not wanting to follow in his father's footsteps gets old real quick. I'm not that big of a reader of science fiction but the stuff that had to deal with Shem Shem Tsien near the end just didn't seem possible, not even in a world where golden bees reveal the truth. The rules of the world weren't clear to me about that situation.The only reason I gave it 2 stars is because I really loved the character, Edie Banister. I loved her present story and her flashbacks (even though they did often jarringly interrupt the present action which slowed down the plot of the book.) Harkaway really seems to lock in when using her voice and this is where I really enjoyed his writing. I also enjoyed her battles with Shem Shem Tsien who I think made a fantastic villain. There's some witty parts but all in all I wouldn't recommend this unless you were a die-hard steampunk fan or something like that. (There's some really cool stuff about trains in the book.)